Friday, August 19, 2011

Carried Away




I've slacked off the last 3 days, yup.  There are tons of crazy and interesting things to write about, but I didn't.  Instead, Google+ added games to their new social networking gig and I was sucked in.


Still I could have made the time to write, and in fact I did write, but not here.  A fellow writer on Google+ shouted out for RPG game design help and I was sucked in.


Games.  I started playing D&D in 1975.  If you don't really know what Dungeons and Dragons is, you might not really care either.  Role Playing Games (RPGs) are not everyone's cup of tea.  


If you've played Clue, you have an idea of what RPGs are all about.  It isn't just about rolling dice, though dice are usually involved.  Players are presented with problems and must use their wits to guide their characters to a solution.


So it becomes a story of adventure with players controlling the characters, bending the plot to their own goals, facing down danger to reach the exciting conclusion.  That's the attraction of RPGs - not just reading about a hero's journey, but making it yourself.


Like a cat attracted to dangling yarn, I couldn't resist jumping at the opportunities.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.





No comments:

Post a Comment