Friday, December 23, 2011

I Like Robots

That's because I really, truly feel robots will define our future.  While not absolutely a bad thing, there will be negative along with positive effects.  Soon robots will become front-line soldiers, for instance - thanks to  political infighting among US military branches, the bad news is it may be our soldiers defending themselves from enemy robots instead of the other way around.

Anyway, my interest leads me to a weekly perusal of what's new in robotics on Youtube.  Why there?  Because long before a robot is seen as interesting to the media, geeks and nerds are already swapping videos of their accomplishments.

I come across all kind of robot exploits this way.  Here are a few that caught my interest.

What to get that hard-to-buy for kid this year?


Yes, this video is long and boring - and fascinating if you consider the implications.  True robot sports are just a few years away and games will never the same.

Sports and toys; no big deal, right?  What can robots do that isn't just for fun?  Build stuff.



Of course the US military have their share of robots, like this 'clothing and equipment' testing robot. . .


'load-carrying robot'. . .



and fence jumping robot.

Sadly, some robots are doomed to less survivable duty.  A company in Australia has recently delivered target robots to the USMC. 



But it won't just be the robots replacing humans and doing things alone.  We can build robots easily enough, but the brains to run them are the really hard part.  Adding humans to robots, or robots to humans, will be the most amazing part of the future - 





I like robots, and I hope they like me, because the alternative might suck.  
8)

No comments:

Post a Comment