Saturday, September 10, 2011

10/90 Violation


As I stare at a blank page again, I must decide to either skip again and hope for tomorrow's inspiration, or write something like this.  Is anything better than nothing?


In this case, yes.  I know my desire is to write something substantive each day, but I must remember the true object of this exercise is to write SOMETHING each day.  My distraction or lack of inspiration or simple lazyness must not stand in the way.


Yes, this casts writing in the role of a daily chore.  You might think that creativity wouldn't be a good choice for the role, but writing is only part art.  The rest is knowledge and skill, learned like any other craft.  


With a chef's carefully prepared entre, there is much more to consider than what's on the plate.  Inspiration is followed by choosing the best ingredients, preparing them using a recipe to get the desired dish, and presenting the dish just so.


Waiting for inspiration, then, is a cop-out for me.  The 10/90 rule applies to writing as much as any endeavor - 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration.  


Reckon I got some catchin' up to do.


PS.  To those who read this (you know who you are), please feel free to comment or suggest topics.  I will be happy to become an insta-google-expert and write my thoughts on just about anything.  And, thanks 8D

No comments:

Post a Comment