Thursday, September 29, 2011

Gift of Blab?

Wish I had it, like to learn it, but there it is; I don't have the skill yet to write hundreds or thousands of words a day.  Sometimes this not-so-large blog entry takes two or three hours, something like 50 to 100 words an hour.  I know professionals who can produce 20 times that all day long.  Why?  


I edit as I write, and that's bad.  Putting down the words that approximate an idea should come first, errors and all.  Once things are out, then proofread, edit, and rewrite.


I don't put aside enough time in a day to write.  Like any skill, the more you do it, the better you become.  I took up this very blog to motivate myself to write every day.  If I want this to be more than a hobby, I need to devote a daily 'shift' to writing.


I don't plan enough.  Maybe I'm impatient, perhaps it's Adult Deficit Disorder, but I jump into a story with little more than an idea in my head.  There are steps that can make the process easier; thematic statement, plot outline, character 'bible.'  I must practice these basics.


If I want my writing to be more than a hobby, there is a path - the path that leads to the Gift of Blab.

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I always took to heart was from a book call on Writing from Steven King. To Write one needs to Read. He spends just as much time reading as he does writing during the days.

    Another thing I've found as a use is to find things that point you in directions of inspirations. The two links below I've found help just for times when I just don't know what I want to do but want to write something even if I won't use it right then and there.

    3 am epiphany
    and
    4am breakthrough

    ReplyDelete