Monday, September 19, 2011

Face Shot (part 4)


     Adrenalin isn't good for shooting straight, but there it was anyway.  The girl yapped at me about something, but I ignored her to check the c-cam.  Guards and servants swarmed the front porch - the clock was ticking.
     One minute later the stuff I wasn't using was packed.  The confirmation camera and stabilizer would fold into their integral pack after the shot.  Moving as quickly as I dared, I got Baby out of the case and mounted on the stabilizer.  
     I didn't like using the stabilizer, but it was the best way to insure my gun-cam caught every blood-spraying detail.  The confirmation camera took much better pictures at 100 frames/second, but people really dug the crosshairs of the gun-cam, I guess.
     Ready with time to spare, I turned back to my captive.  No time to really think it out, so I went with my gut.  I knelt beside her, knife out.  That shut her up, finally.
     "Look, lady, I don't want to kill you."  I about laughed when she nodded eagerly at that.  "But I can't let you get in the way of my payday.  How about I cut you loose and you get the hell out of here?"  That almost made her look happy.
     "I want Saif to face justice," she said.  "If you will do that, I have no need to stay."
     "Good," I replied and cut the zip cuffs.  "Trust me, he's about to get all the justice he can stand."
     She rolled to her feet, threw off the shaggy ghillie, and grabbed her camera out of the dust.  Instead of just heading out, she looked at me; maybe she had potential after all.  I took her by the arm and walked her a few steps down the back side of the little hill, pointing out the shallow wash I'd used earlier.
     "Keep low, move fast, and  you'll be okay," I said as friendly as I could in a hurry.  "They're about to be busy up at the house."
     "Thank you."  She hesitated, then kissed me on the cheek and bolted.  She was a bit short-legged for running a marathon, but she was good to watch anyway.  Maybe I'd look her up sometime.  About then I realized I hadn't got her name.  
     No time to worry now; payday was here if I didn't screw it up.  I took a couple of deep breaths as I returned to my rifle and settled in.  After a quick eyeball check of equipment I input the windage profile, put the crosshairs on the porch, and waited.

No comments:

Post a Comment